Monday, March 12, 2012

Ooh, Heaven is a Place on Earth

After two hours of walking around Susquehanna State Park this past Sunday (we're both of the nature is our church variety), Verity and I were ready for some adult beverages and a chair. We'd staked out Mt. Felix Estate Vineyard before meeting up, which meant although we were tired, hungry, and cranky, we knew that happiness was merely at the end of a short dirt road! If for any reason you find yourself anywhere near northern Maryland or southern Pennsylvania, I beseech you to visit Mt. Felix winery!

We hunkered down in the tasting room, which is off to the side of the Manor Home, a beautiful home that was built in the 1830s and acts as part hotel today. The home and tasting room sat on a stretch of land where their Chambourcin grapes grow, dairy cows graze, and neighbors mill. The tasting room itself was a tiny room that could fit five people at the bar. One picture-frame window, surrounded by dozens of Mt. Felix wines, faced the open sky and sliver of water where the Susquehanna meets the Chesapeake. It was wonderfully quaint and comfortable. 

The wines at Mt. Felix aren't just grape-based, so the experience was truly unique. One wine required a little slice of lime, another required a bite of chocolate. Seriously? Chocolate? What doesn't say "I'm having fun" like a little wine and chocolate? It's like the Brad and Angelina of the food and drink combo. There was another unique wine, but I won't divulge that one until after this weekend with my mom and sister. Don't want to spoil the surprise!

Verity and I will definitely be back, especially since it happens to be exactly in the middle between me (in Baltimore) and her (in Lancaster). A little bit warmer and we'll be parked outside on the patio, sipping on a bottle of wine, noshing on a homemade picnic, and catching up on our busy lives. This is why I love wine...it just begs for a good ol' fashioned stoop sitting type of atmosphere. Relaxed. Warm. Happy.
Manor House at Mt. Felix.
Tasting room and view of the Bay.
Room with a view.

Conversation nook.
Backyard patio.
Verity and her goods. I LOVE it!
Dairy cow pasture next door.

Love,
Stephanie Marie

PS. Excuse the creepy ghost-like lack of hand on Verity. She does in fact have a right hand. I think the new feature on my iPhone decided it wasn't one of the aspects of the three shots it combines to create the "best" photo. I think the addition of her right hand would be "best" ;)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, that is so funny. I was totally wondering what happened there! I thought, gosh, where is the wine that was in that hand??

    SO much fun! Can't wait to go back!!

    ReplyDelete