Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ugly Is the New Tasty

Growing up, my family's favorite go-to dinner was mac 'n cheese, chicken nuggets, and yellow squash. We called it yellow dinner. It wasn't really all that interesting to look at, but it tasted amazing. So we made it special. Yellow dinner?! Hooray! Lately, I've been making meals that I'm really proud about, but that aren't very pretty to look at. Kind of reminds me of yellow dinner, but that just goes to show that although what your food looks like does matter, it doesn't matter the most. So let me just get these out of my system and then we can move onto our regularly programmed lives :)

I made these delicious grilled eggplant and shrimp toasts the other day for dinner. It was made mostly with leftovers from a trip to Glory Days Grill with my friends Stone and Toolan. They're just stacked on bread with tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese, but boy were they tasty!
 
Then last night I made sausage etouffee! It was super easy to make and included all ingredients I had in my fridge/pantry (which was the reason I made it...didn't want to go shopping). I based it off of this recipe, but I had to make a few exchanges to make it work. For example, I used leftover sausage instead of shrimp, tomato paste and a chopped up fresh tomato instead of canned and I just left out the green veggies (don't like them anyway so THERE!). It looks sort of Indian and it was delish!
Been deceived by looks lately?

Love,
Stephanie Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment