Monday, January 30, 2012

A Quiet Power: An Introvert's Introspection


There are always trends going on, we all know this. Trends in what we wear, how we decorate our house, how we talk. There are exercise trends, blogging trends, education trends. Fact: You are now required to be a toned 20-something with a master's degree who runs marathons and blogs about it. If this isn't you, you're not cool. Clearly I'm kidding, but there is so much pressure these days to be something that we're not. The target keeps moving and the rest of us keep trying to keep up with the trends. Well, you know what? If we just stopped for two minutes and realized that we don't need to be any of these things, that we can be happy in our own skin, life might be a little bit easier.

Oddly enough, the latest trend I started seeing this week--being an introvert--is something that goes against being a trend inherently. So apparently the hot new thing is to be an introvert. A neon-yellow-wearing introvert (didn't you hear: yellow is the new color for spring). It's so hot right now. NEON hot :)


Being an introvert means different things to different people, but my mom put it really well a few years ago to me, and I'll share that with you now: Introverts are people who gain their energy by being alone and extroverts are people who gain their energy by being around other people. I can totally relate to this. Being in large groups of people (no matter how welcoming and friendly they all are) drains the life out of me. Like I need a nap or just some quiet time in the corner, drains the life out of me. At my sister and her husband's engagement party years ago, I found myself bumping around to their friends like a pinball. I had met most of the 30-or-so people there several times before, but I didn't really know them. And after a few hours of chatting, smiling, and shaking hands, I was so tired I had a headache and needed a nap. And, years later, I'm still sorry that I didn't go out with them after the party because it would have been such a great way to get to know them even more on a more intimate, fun way. But all I could think about was how amazing it was going to be to slip on my pjs, crawl into bed, and read a book. All by mysellllllllf.

Anyway, I tell you all of that to say that being an introvert can be difficult at times. Especially in today's market where networking is pretty much the only way you're going to get a job, it becomes a struggle to keep up with the expectations. Especially in today's social scene where going out an partying and collecting friends seems like the only way to meet people. It's just in me to do those things, though, and I'm pretty adamant about staying true to myself. So, learning how to make friends and make job connections is something that I'm constantly thinking about. Where should I go to meet new people? What should I say to make new work acquaintances? What do I do with my hands? How do I slip into a group already in the middle of a conversation without seeming like a creepy, anti-social creeper? Because, like "The Power of Introverts" explains, being an introvert doesn't mean being anti-social. I want friends, too! It's just a matter of how I socialize and with whom I'm socializing. Phew. I'm exhausted now...need some time to myself...with a book...in a candle-lit room. ;)

I thought I'd share some articles with you all in case you're feeling the same way I do about being an introvert because, frankly, I think we all tend to gather together. Introverts, unite! Separately! :)

Have any networking or socializing tips to share with your fellow introverts?

The Power of Introverts: A Manifesto for Quiet Brilliance
An Introvert's Guide to Networking

Love,
Stephanie Marie

Photo courtesy of pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment