Friday, February 24, 2012

Happiness #4: Being With Loved Ones

Note: Numerically this shouldn't be Happiness #4, but I really think my post about loving the outdoors should be Happiness #3. So let's just go with it, shall we?
Moving back to the East Coast has really taught me a few things about what it is that I need to be happy in this life--staying in shape, eating well, and being in nature are all some of those things. I've come to learn them either by missing something that I was able to do easily living in San Diego (for example, hiking on a random evening) or by doing something that I wasn't able to do easily living in San Diego (for example, having brunch with my family on a random Sunday).

Several other people are dealing with finding their happiness. Of course, there's Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project. But there's also Funky Junk Interiors, Naturally Ella, and Explore Dream Discover. I wonder why it is that everyone is thinking, talking, and collaborating about this now. Why today? Why this way? Why is it so apparent to everyone now that we may not be as happy as we want to be? I have a job, I have a family, I have friends. I have a roof over my head, I can afford to travel and buy new things. And yet, sometimes I find that I'm still sad or lonely. And that pisses me off! Is it an American thing? Does this American Dream have us forever pursuing that perfect life? And so we feel that we won't be happy until we're all millionaires and philanthropists? Well, friends, that's not going to happen for 99% of us, so we'd better take the time now to figure out how to be happy with how we already are. It's time that we take a step back and realize that we can be happy. Hell, that we already are happy!

Maybe we think: when x, y, and z are done...that's when I'll be happy. When I have x and y in my life...then I'll be happy. Well, screw that. I say let's do the Oprah thing and instead of listing what we want let's make a list of what we need to make us truly happy. I'm sure it's not millions of dollars, but things that are much more achievable and controllable. Let's focus on the good.

Here's the start of my list. You may think that some of the things on here are silly, but they make me happy. Go make your own list if you don't like mine ;)

creativity
hiking
being with friends and family
traveling
photography
reading
hot tea
candles
Bath & Body Works' spearmint eucalyptus scent
desserts
exercising
being healthy
being kind
keeping in touch with loved ones
trying new things
exploring where I live
being valued at work
being on time
organization

Today, Michelle and I are going to drive to Brooklyn to visit Kath and that makes me happy :) I'll be spending time with my friends, trying new restaurants and foods, traveling to a new city, and hopefully taking some walks outside.Spending time with friends and family is definitely one of the best things in life. And when you've known people long enough to be yourself completely around them, to be able to tell them that there's something on your happiness list that you'd like to do with them because that makes you happy? That's the best! I don't want to make people guess what I need. If I need a little help making me happy, I know there are people in my life who are happy to help :)

How will you find your happy this weekend?

Love,
Stephanie Marie

Photo courtesy of pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment